2018-08-21 How to self-host a blog
One of the purposes of this blog is to experiment with simple ways put up a blog on the web without depending on any blogging platform. For this I wanted a free way to deploy static web pages on my own domain name. For this I chose Firebase Hosting, partly because I am very familiar with it, having worked on the Firebase team and personally knowing many of the Hosting development team, but also because it is actually the best solution I know of for what I want, and it is free for sites that have the traffic of typical personal sites.
People who are comfortable using the command line might be interested in following along the steps I took.
- Go to firebase.com, login, and create a project.
- Install Node. If you don’t already have it installed
already, I suggest first
nvm install stable nvm use stable
- Follow the instructions in the Hosting quickstart.
index.htmlwith the HTML you want as your home page.
- I’d recommend storing everything in Git, and you might as well make it a public repo, as the web site is public anyway. (Mine is on GitHub)
- You also might want to register a domain name, and use
Firebase Hosting to use that domain name (complete with a free
SSL certificate so you the
https:security for free.). I did this for